Life isn’t always sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes you just have a shit day. Lately I’ve been feeling like I’ve had more than my share. It could be due to the weather (-16 on Saturday, felt like -32) or the fact that my hunni’s been gone for 10 months, or a combination of the two. On days like that I want to get in bed, pull the covers over my head and just lay there in the dark. (I must have been a bear in a past life) I’m also a misery to be around, so it’s a form of self quarantine.
When I’m having one of “those days” I indulge in things that truly make me happy. I’m selfish that way.
- A large cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows and white chocolate liqueur
- Wine and a romantic movie. Check out a previous post for some of my favorites. (They aren’t your typical chic flicks so I can’t be cynical or sarcastic)
- Writing. Whether it’s a letter or even something as simple as writing down why you’re having a bad day. It helps to get it out of your system and onto paper.
- Yoga. It calms my mind. It’s also hard to feel like crap when you’re balancing on your hands.
- Reading. Lose yourself in a good book. If your reality sucks try fantasy.
- Chocolate. The cure all. I eat a packet of Reeces, some Snickers, or a Magnum ice cream bar. White chocolate. (If you haven’t tried it do so, immediately) I try not to get too crazii with the candy or I wake up the next day feeling worse. I drink 8oz of water after my first few pieces to help combat that. Eating your feelings goes down a lot smoother with a glass of water.
- Starbucks. I’ll grab my signature grande hazelnut mocha with whip cream and sit at a table. It’s nice to get out of the house or office and sit with my fellow addicts.
- Walk around the mall. (Most of the time it’s too cold to walk outside) You may end up chatting to a salesperson or a stranger who could lift your spirits. Once, I had a girl at Wet Seal tell me I had perfect skin. I’m sure there’s a special place in heaven for people like her ❤ ❤
- Talk to a child. (My newest discovery) Because of my job I see an abundance of kids every day but I had the best talk with a 4yr old yesterday. I was pushing her on the swing and we talked about her sister’s choir concert, how school is no fun, and that she was having hot dogs for dinner. (With a little bit of ketchup) Last week I had a 5yr old tell me all about her loose tooth. Some days we get so wrapped up in our own feelings and everyday lives it’s refreshing to remember a simpler time when your biggest worry was not being allowed to wear fairy wings to school or wishing you could eat mac n’ cheese for lunch every day.
Comment below with what makes you feel better after a bad day.