I’ve never been too much of a baker. Who has the time to sift,knead, and then keep checking the oven. (hence the darkness of my muffins) I like to chuck everything in a pot and leave it.
When my hunni left last month he graced me with leftover oatmeal, pancake mix, and bananas. All of which I can’t eat. So I froze the bananas and hid everything else. I read online frozen bananas are great in muffins and pancakes so I immediately started looking up grain-free recipes.
One of the drawbacks to being voluntarily grain-free are the grain alternatives. Coconut flour is expensive and makes dense cookies, muffins etc. Almond flour is even more expensive plus I have a nut allergy. But I finally found these savory muffins that eliminated the problem all together. Eureka! No flour.
The base is “nut butter”. I used peanut butter and bananas. You just blend up all the ingredients, put them in muffin tins or a loaf pan and boom you’re done. *I added vanilla protein powder to make it a little more cakey.
Original recipe here.
1 cup nut butter – you can buy nut butters here
2 medium sized bananas (The more ripe, the sweeter!)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla (try making your own!)
2 tablespoons of raw honey(or other sweeteners such as maple syrup, stevia, etc.)
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor. You can also use a stick blender if you have one.
- Blend until well mixed.
- Pour batter into a greased muffin tin. You can also use a mini muffin tin to make 24 mini muffins.
- Add additional toppings of your choice to each muffin and lightly stir into each cup
- Cook time: 15 minutes for full size muffins and 10 minutes for mini muffins. (It took even less time for me)