I’m not a cold weather person so when November rolls around there are very few things I get excited about. (One of them being Starbucks red cups.) But during November I’m reminded of all the things I’m thankful for.
Being that my mother is from England, Thanksgiving has always been a little… different. (If you paid attention in history class you’ll know why) I always looked forward to Black Friday then Cyber Monday instead of the holiday itself.
But now that I’m older I look back and remember the loving feeling of being surrounded by family, no matter how crazii they are. People who will call you on your sh*t and teach you a lot about life, if you listen close enough. And now that my Granny has passed away those memories are even more precious. As usual we are having it at her house but I know it won’t be the same without her swearing, complaining, and runs to the convenience store for more cigarettes. Most of all I’m going to miss her dressing. (Because she refused to teach anyone the recipe.)
This year I’ve gone through a lot of changes and it’s made me realize just how much I’m grateful for. Here are a few:
- Traveling to South Korea to visit my Hunni, we got to see one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
- My Hunni being able to visit for Christmas
- Tweet chats, especially #fireworkpeople which has allowed me to meet some amazing people
- Yoga, I’ve been practicing off and on since highschool but I’m finally practicing on a regular basis
- Standing up for myself, quitting a job where I was grossly overworked and that didn’t have my best interest at heart
- Good books, #GIRLBOSS, Gone Girl, and The Help are must reads
- Coworkers (old & new), people who get you and your weird eating habits and can brighten your workday with their stories
- The gym, where I rediscovered yoga and found my love for kettlebells
- Social Media, from blogging to Twitter to YouTube to Instagram I’ve found new ways of expressing myself
- My husband, I haven’t been the easiest person to get along with this past year or the most pleasant but he’s stuck with me offering his love and support
- Coffee, it’s helped me get through 5am gym sessions and 12 + hour workdays
- You! I’m grateful for anyone who reads my blog. Even if you decide you hate it at least you took time out of your day to find out a little more about me
I’m participating in a November yoga challenge on Instagram and I have to list something I’m grateful for every day. Follow me @step_onmyknee to find out more.
What are you grateful for this year?