I’m having one of those days today. I’ve been stuck in a 9 by 10 room with a phone, 3 laptops and my coworker for the past 9 hours. Once a month we “share” our building with an optometrist which is why we’ve been crammed in this room like tuna in a can.
At 12pm I hit my breaking point and decided I had to get up and walk around. At 2pm I colored the picture you see at this top of this post. At 4pm it was all I could do to keep my eyes open and I kept having visions of me in sweatpants watching The Nightmare Before Christmas. I think it’s safe to say I was officially going stir-crazii. By some miracle I was able to hold it together until the end of the day.
Luckily for you I’ve come up with a couple of ways to maintain your sanity during stressful times or moments of extreme boredom.
- Light meditation. Take a few deep breaths, clear your mind & focus on your breathing.
- Write. Don’t think about it, just jot down whatever comes to mind.
- Music. Listen to music that relaxes you whether it’s ocean waves crashing on a beach or heavy metal.
- Color. Revert back to being a child for a while. Draw, blow bubbles, or grab some crayons and get coloring!
- Read. Get lost in a book or better yet, find your favorite childhood book and reread it.
- Stretch: Get your body to unwind with some light stretching.
- Go for a drive. Get lost in the places of your city. If this is not possible go outside and take a walk outside.
Life can be so chaotic sometimes we forget to take a few seconds for ourselves. We end up getting irritated then take it out on whoever’s around us. In these moments you need to step back, breathe, and refocus.
When life gets hectic what are some of your favorite ways to wind down?