The Broke Girl’s To – Do List is a blog dedicated to helping girls get their lives together (my words not hers). It is an assortment of things to do and remember until you make it where you want to be in life. Almost a fake it till you make it of sorts. You can find the original post here.
Are your clothes working as hard as you are? When you’re on a fixed income or straight out of college with no income it helps to have timeless pieces that will carry you through the rest of your career.
1. The most classic pieces of your wardrobe should be the ones in which you invest. For example, most of my shoes cost less than $40, but I bought one pair of black Tory Burch flats. They will last me for years, they will never go out of style, and they go with everything. You can apply this rule to a pair of jeans, a blazer (blazers are good investment pieces because you can wear them to work AND play), a nice dress, et cetera. Just don’t forget about the rule below.
2. Just because you have permission to splurge on nice things DOES NOT mean The Broke Girl advises you to shop all of the time. Everything in moderation, girls. Learn the art of window shopping; a little resistance to temptation will be good for you!
3. Get rid of the old. I love a good closet-cleaning. Getting rid of old clothing is easy. Selling things you no longer wear on eBay (or a site like Threadflip) will give you a bit of money to buy wardrobe staples you actually need.
4. Mix and match. I know plenty of girls with hundreds of clothes in their closets, and yet they still can’t find a thing to wear. I don’t think those girls are trying hard enough. We like novelty! That’s the problem. But look at it this way. Say I have 50 pieces in my closet. If half are tops and half are bottoms (it’s not quite that way, since you have to account for dresses somewhere), I can make nearly a month’s worth of outfits and wear a different one every single day! There are always options.
5. Avoid being trendy. ”Trends fade; style is forever.”
Numbers 1 and 5 are the most important in my book. Are there any other rules you would add to the list?